Abstract submissions are now closed.
If your abstract is accepted, you (and your co-presenter(s), if applicable):
- Are expected to register, pay & present at the Conference
- Must pay all expenses to present and attend the Conference (e.g., preparation of the poster, registration fee, travel, hotel, etc.)
Correspondence will be with submitting author ONLY.
- Call for Abstracts Opens: Thursday, September 15, 2016
- Call for Abstracts Closes: Monday, January 23, 2017
- Notification of Acceptance: Monday, March 6, 2017
- Trainee Abstract Competition Deadline: April 4, 2017
- Early registration deadline: Tuesday, April 18, 2017
- Conference Dates: June 16 to 18, 2017
Trainee Abstract Competition
The Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers and the North American Refugee Health Conference (NARHC) are pleased to announce the first annual Trainee Abstract Award. The Award will be given to the best and runner up of an original research abstract submitted for presentation at NARHC. The winning author and runner up must present their abstracts at the conference. The winning author will receive a $500 award from the Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers in addition to a guarantee of publication of the study manuscript in the Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. The runner-up will also receive this publication opportunity and be awarded $250. (Publication is conditional on submission of a manuscript to the Journal within three months of the date of the conference and approval by the Journal’s editorial staff).
To qualify for the award, trainees must meet the following criteria:
- Have already submitted an abstract of original research in refugee health through the conference abstract submission system by the abstract submission deadline January 23, 2017.
- Lead author must be enrolled full-time as a student in an accredited college or university or in a post-graduate fellowship program. This includes undergraduate, masters, PhD, post-doctoral, residency, and fellowship programs, etc.;
- Submit a cover letter stating the lead author’s desire to be considered for the award and their trainee status, as well as pledging to attend the conference if given the award or runner-up status;
- Submit a letter from a faculty advisor or mentor on college, university or hospital letterhead providing evidence of the student/trainee’s enrollment at an accredited program; and,
- Winning authors must be a member of the Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers at the time of the award.
Authors should submit their cover and nomination letters as well as an additional copy of the abstract to Sana Loue at email@example.com and Kimberly Eadie at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, April 4, 2017.
Non-research abstracts will not be considered.
Questions regarding the call for abstracts and abstract submission can be directed to the Conference secretariat.
Continuing Professional Development
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
500 University Avenue, Suite 650 Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1V7
Tel: 416.978.2719 / Toll free: 1.888.512.8173