The Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers and the North American Refugee Health Conference (NARHC) are pleased to offer the third Annual Student and Trainee Abstract Award. The Award will be given to the winner and one runner-up who submit the best original research abstract for presentation at NARHC. The winning author and runner-up must present their abstracts at the conference and commit to publishing the primary manuscript from their research in the Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. Authors may not submit the manuscript to another journal pending the outcome of the JIMH editorial review process.
The winning author will receive a $500 award from the Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers in addition to a guarantee of publication in the Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. The runner-up will receive the same publication opportunity and be awarded $250. (The manuscript must be submitted to the Journal within six months of the date of the conference, and publication is conditional on submission of a manuscript that meets standards and approval for publication set by the Journal’s editorial staff).
To qualify for the award, students must meet the following criteria:
- Submit an abstract of original research in refugee health through the conference abstract submission system.
- Lead author must be a full-time student at an accredited college or university, a resident physician, or a post-graduate fellow.
- Submit a cover letter stating the lead author’s desire to be considered for the award and describing the above criteria, as well as pledging to attend the conference if given the award or runner-up status, submit a manuscript to the Journal, and work with the Journal’s editors to ensure that the manuscript is publishable;
- Submit a letter from a faculty advisor or mentor on college, university or hospital letterhead providing evidence of the student/trainee’s enrollment at an accredited program; and,
- For winning authors, be a member of the Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers by the time of the conference.
Authors should submit the cover and nomination letters as well as an additional copy of the abstract to Sana Loue at firstname.lastname@example.org and Jim Sutton at email@example.com.
In addition to the conference abstract submission deadline, all supporting materials must be received by March 15th, 2019.
Non-research abstracts will not be considered.